The possibility of “saving” on realtor commission might sound appealing to those interested in selling their home, but a real estate agent has the background and experience to make the sale of your home more successful. There is a huge amount of time, marketing and effort that goes into selling a home. Plus, it is important to have a professional guide you through the sale of your most important financial asset that can protect you from the unknown.
When considering selling your home yourself, remember the following:
- The National Association of REALTORS reported that FSBOs (For Sale By Owner) typically have a median selling price that is 13 percent lower than homes sold by a professional real estate agent.
- An agent puts a buffer between you and your property. You likely have a great deal of emotional attachment to your home. Hiring an agent puts a third party between you and the transaction that can be comforting to you as a home seller.
- An agent relieves doubt from the sale. There are many things to consider when selling your home such as the local market, pricing, disclosures and property access. When selling your home alone, you may have doubt about timing, pricing, and other factors. A real estate agent can talk you through all of your worries and questions to make sure that when the time comes to list your home, you are ready.
- An agent helps to relieve stress. Selling a home on your own takes an immense amount of time, both in preparing the house for sale and during the time on the market. You will have to be prepared to field calls and emails from buyers as well as show the house at a moment’s notice. There will also be title work to take care of, dates to coordinate and inspections to schedule. Hiring a real estate professional takes away from the work and stress of selling your home.
- Buyers’ agents may be less inclined to show your home to their buyers. Seasoned real estate agents know how to negotiate with other agents and understand the pros and cons of trying to negotiate with homeowners directly. It may not be worth the potential “hassle” for some agents to show your home to their buyers.
Selling a home is one of the largest financial transactions you’ll navigate in your life and can often be complicated. Hiring a real estate agent can smooth out a stressful process and take the worry off your shoulders so you can concentrate on moving into your new home.
When you are ready to list your home I’d love to refer you to a trusted real estate professional in my network. Call me today to set up an appointment and see how I can help you.